Monday, December 31, 2007
Friday, December 28, 2007
Milagu Chamba & Kathirikkai Kosthu
My mother made this recipe whenever someone in the house was down with cold. The rice is made with peppercorns and cumin seeds. The Kathirikkai Kostu or Eggplant Kostu adds a tangy taste to the rice.
Milagu Chamba ( Peppercorn, Cumin Rice)
- Warm two teaspoons of ghee in a pan and add 2 teaspoons of crushed whole peppercorns.
- Add two teaspoons of cumin seeds and saute till cumin seeds turn brown
- Add salt and boiled rice.
- Mix well and serve with Eggplant Kosthu
Small Eggplant - 2
Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
Tamarind paste - 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
To dry roast and grind to powder:
Coriander seeds- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder- 1 teaspoon
Dry red chilli - 1
Urad daal - 1 teaspoon
- Add two teaspoons oil to a pan and add chopped onion and eggplant pieces.
- Add turmeric powder and salt
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute
- Add the ground powder ( coriander seeds, asafoetida, urad daal, red chilli) and mix well
- Add tamarind paste, water and boil for 5 minutes
- Serve with milagu chamba