Nalapagam

Monday, September 10, 2007

Ammini Kuzhakattai - Steamed Rice balls

This is my first cooking post. Most of my recipes are hand-me-downs from my mother. My mother is a wonderful cook and she makes lovely Ammini Kuzhakattai or Steamed rice balls. The traditional Ammini kuzhakattai is white. But my mother's version has cilantro and green chillies and it tastes awesome. Here is my recipe for Ammini Kuzhakattai.





Ingredients:

1 cup rice flour
1 cup water
Some cilantro / coriander leaves
3 green chillies
1 tbsp mustard seeds
a few curry leaves
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon oil

Method:

1. Grind together the coriander leaves and green chillies.
2. In a kadai, add 1 cup water, salt and ground coriander paste and bring it to boil
3. Add the rice flour slowly, constantly stirring to avoid any lumps
4. Add 2 tablespoons of oil
5. Remove the kadai once the rice flour had blended well and is thick enough to make small balls.
6. Let the rice flour mixture cool for a few minutes.
7. Make small balls from the mixture
8. Place the small balls in a steamer and steam the balls till soft.
9.
Heat the 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry for few seconds. Add to the steamed rice balls.

Serve with coconut chutney. Makes a small bowl of kuzhakattai's.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home